- This event has passed.
Commission on the State of Hate community forum
May 24 @ 11:30 AM - 12:30 PM| FREE
FROM: Commission on the State of Hate (Commission) community forum
*ALL questions regarding this event should be directed to [email protected]*
It is with great excitement that we invite you to participate in our first virtual Commission on the State of Hate (Commission) community forum on Wednesday, May 24, 2023 at 11:30 a.m.
Our Commission was established to strengthen California’s efforts to stop hate and promote mutual respect among California’s diverse population. The Commission is charged with researching and publishing data on hate activity, hosting community forums, and advising public entities and communities on how to reduce and respond to hate activity.
Our first community forum theme is “The State of Hate,” during which we will provide:
- An update on the state of hate, including recent data and statistics presented by Commissioner Brian Levin and Stop AAPI Hate;
- A presentation on individuals’ rights and options if targeted for hate by California Civil Rights Department (CRD) staff; and
- A guide to government resources available to people targeted for hate, including CRD’s California vs. Hate Resource Line and Network and the Community Conflict Resolution Unit, as well as other statewide resources available from the California Department of Social Services and the State Library.
All forums will include the opportunity for the public to provide comments. While not a requirement, we present the following questions for your consideration and for comment during the community forum, to assist the Commission in furthering its mission:
- How have you experienced hate in California?
- What barriers to reporting hate do you experience?
- What barriers to accessing resources and support related to hate do you experience?
- What should California do to prevent and respond to hate more effectively?
- If you or someone you know has been targeted for hate, what is an example of a helpful and effective response? This can be from government, a community-based organization, a religious institution, or some other source. What is an example of a response that was not helpful or effective?
- What issues would you like to see addressed in future community forums?
We encourage you to participate and share this invitation will your constituents and partners interested in these efforts.
Please use the following link to access the forum: https://us02web.zoom.us/j/85381382471 or dial into the forum: 1- 669-444-9171, Meeting ID: 853 813 82471
If you require language interpretation or a reasonable accommodation due to a disability, please contact the California Civil Rights Department: (844) 541-2877 (voice or via relay operator 711) or TTY (800) 700-2320 or via email: [email protected] or [email protected] as soon as possible or at least 72 hours before the meeting.
We also encourage you to subscribe to the Commission listserv to receive notices and updates about Commission meetings, community forums, and reports by visiting the Commission’s website: https://calcivilrights.ca.gov/commission-on-the-state-of-hate
We look forward to having you participate in our next forum.
California Commission on the State of Hate